mysterious cacti question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
guthrie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

mysterious cacti question

Post by guthrie »

2 small mystery cacti.jpg
My partner acquired these two a few years ago and with some re-potting them have grown quite well, those are 3in pots. The question is, is it normal for them to be so top heavy, or is that an artefact of being on a windowsill with less light that they grew towards (Previous house) and is it possible to cover them with soil a bit so that they sit better in the pot, like burying an inch of the stem.

I also wonder if they might flower at some point.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: mysterious cacti question

Post by ralphrmartin »

You might do better to cut them off at the base of the good growth, leave them for a week, and restart them as top cuttings.

You could well get away with planting them deeper in a deeper pot, but that will pose problems as they get older...
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I'd leave them as they are but prop them up with a wooden coffee stirrer cut in half and placed at the far side so it doesn't show. They should offset in time and the offsets may cover the narrow neck. Aim for plenty of sun and 'a little neglect' - not too much water.

Stuart
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Guthrie, that is a nice use of a Sylvac cactus planter (tu)
Acid John
guthrie
Registered Guest
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by guthrie »

Ralph, I'm not so keen on that but my partner would be happy no doubt to cut them up. What sort of problems happens as they get older?

Stuart, if htey offset that would be helpful, but I don't know what sort of cactus they are so who knows.

John, I have never heard of a Sylvac cactus planter, but it does seem the right size to take two of them.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

They appear to be species of echinopsis. These variants of E. eysiesii and multiplex hybridise readily and should flower when large enough, if kept in a warm and bright position. These plants would not lean naturally and it could be that they have leaned towards the light in the past. They appear to be a bit etiolated , due probably to the previous low light conditions
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I agree with Rod. I have several like this. Lollipop sticks work sometimes. Or I top the dressing up higher.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.