Offensive "Moderator" on Facebook.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pattock
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Offensive "Moderator" on Facebook.

Post by Pattock »

A new member of the Facebook BCSS group made a post yesterday about getting a new flower on her Huernia mccoyi and her delight in that flower. Her first post on the group. In it she referred to the Huernia as a cactus. Somebody who apparently has a position as a Moderator on the Facebook group then replied as below.

Neil Oakman.jpg

This morning, the original poster responded and Neil Oakman decided to respond to my comment as below. Now "A moderator turned off commenting for this post." So, I can't point out to him that when talking about a Huernia "this Aeonium is a member of the Crassulaceae (the Crassula family)" is hardly "accurate information". Nor that the information content was not what I was complaining about.

Neil Oakman 2.jpg
Neil Oakman 2.jpg (248.49 KiB) Viewed 886 times

I understand that it may be irritating to Moderators to keep seeing people call things cacti that are not cacti. However, on the BCSS Facebook group, it is not acceptable for anyone, Moderator or not, to snap at someone in this rude, haughty and sexist manner. If they feel the need to comment, it might be best to have a pre-prepared statement saved on a Notepad - along the lines of "What a beautiful flower! Welcome to the group and it is wonderful to have another here who loves our special plants. However, I should point out that the word cactus is often misused - especially by people who sell plants - leading to much confusion. Your beautiful Huernia is an example of convergent evolution in one of the plant families that have, in dry parts of Africa and Asia, come to resemble cacti so much that even the experts can be fooled before they look closer. Technically, to a botanist, "cactus" refers only to members of the plant family Cactaceae. If you want to learn more, I would recommend visiting our website at ..."

I am no longer a member (until you get an electronic only option for journals and put Bradleya on JSTOR or some Open Access elsewhere) or I might have posted this shameful episode in the Society Discussion subforum. However, I think any action taken against Neil Oakman should be discussed publicly - not just among members. The Facebook group is open to members and non-members and should be showing non-members what a loveable and sociable lot the members are, how wonderful the benefits of membership would be. It seems it is too late for Neil Oakman to apologise to his victim, she left the group this morning.

By the way, can someone remove my Member status from this forum account and change it to Guest? I don't seem to have that option in the profile.

If there is anyone reading this who has snarled "Not a succulent!!!!!" or "Not a cactus!!!!!" at someone on the Facebook BCSS group and scrolled on indignantly to glare at others who have had the temerity to post their plant photos, please consider that it is social media, politeness and friendliness cost nothing and a little more typing may be good for the soul and the heart. There is no need to add even a peccadillo to the already large sum of evil in the world.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Offensive "Moderator" on Facebook.

Post by Aiko »

Pattock wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:36 am please consider that it is social media
Pattock wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:36 am politeness and friendliness cost nothing and a little more typing may be good for the soul and the heart.
To be honest, these two don't really mix well. Social media is probably about the worst internet has produced in 30 years of its existence, maybe only passed by advertising technology.

You are seeking something good in what is probably the most toxic digital environment. Steer away from Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok and things like that and you can still have a perfectly fun life without the need to discuss how rude someone has been. Just accept that there are (a lot of) annoying people out there, or that there are okay people out there that just don't have their day right now.

I don't think it is a good idea to start that discussion here. Even if it is not your intend to shame this Neil person. Because now, it feels a bit like this. To be honest, naming and shaming is part of the toxic environment that social media offers! Just block Neil and do something more fun.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I share your concern over this behaviour. It is clearly wrong.
I also suspect the Facebook page is the something that causes a lot of angst in the committees of BCSS. There is lots of behaviour on there that risks bringing the society into disrepute.
There was recently a very public discussion about someone who, allegedly, failed to pay for plants that had been sent to her. That rapidly turned in to an all out witch hunt.
There are frequent posts from overseas, clearly (in my opinion) aimed at trying to encourage sales. There’s one right now from a grower, probably in Germany, who is being messaged by a lady in USA. Could this be seen as BCSS facilitating illegal import:export of plants?
Those are just two, recent, examples.
For all the risk of harm the group does to BCSS, it does do a lot of good, though. There are frequent comments on there along the lines of “I’ve just joined and got my welcome pack..” so it looks very much like it draws members in.
I don’t have an answer to the downsides. Maybe there isn’t an all out solution.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

I think it's good that the issue has been raised in such a thoughtful caring manner, nobody has control over the madness on social media but surely BCSS has control over the moderators?
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

The group has several admins and I would recommend raising concerns like this with one or more of them in the first instance.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Aiko wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:26 pm You are seeking something good in what is probably the most toxic digital environment. Steer away from Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok and things like that and you can still have a perfectly fun life without the need to discuss how rude someone has been. Just accept that there are (a lot of) annoying people out there, or that there are okay people out there that just don't have their day right now.
The Facebook group might be one of the best marketing moves of the Society since it's been founded, so the Society cannot simply "steer away from it", nor other social media platforms, if it wants to attract new members.
Aiko wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:26 pm I don't think it is a good idea to start that discussion here. Even if it is not your intend to shame this Neil person. Because now, it feels a bit like this. To be honest, naming and shaming is part of the toxic environment that social media offers! Just block Neil and do something more fun.
One user blocking an official Facebook page moderator won't fix anything, and there clearly is much to fix in this particular example. It could have been dealt within the realms of Facebook, but I can see why this was raised here as well. It's clearly a Society's matter to solve, one way or another.
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Has a copy of this been sent to Peter Bint ( BCSS secretary) , maybe that would be a better course
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Tina wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:16 am Has a copy of this been sent to Peter Bint ( BCSS secretary) , maybe that would be a better course
Indeed it has.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I am the admin on the Facebook page and I was appalled by what was said by a moderator/ admin. It was uncalled for in my opinion and I have sent the person concerned a reminder that we are supposed to lead by example, ie being polite at all times. I have not had a reply and I don't expect one. The person concerned posts very little and does not do a lot of admining, so unless we have a repeat performance, I don't intend to do any thing. However, any more of that sort of rudeness may well result in a ban.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Pattock
Registered Guest

Post by Pattock »

Liz M wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:34 pm I have not had a reply and I don't expect one. The person concerned posts very little and does not do a lot of admining, so unless we have a repeat performance, I don't intend to do any thing.
He posted 17 minutes ago, 21 hours ago and 2 days ago. I am not sure how to check more than the last three posts. If he can't reply to an enquiry from an admin about why he drove a first-time poster out of the group with misogynist arrogance and show understanding of what he did wrong, is he suitable to represent the Society? I know Facebook has no memory and the flood of posts washes away the past but he ruined someone's day deliberately and, when challenged, doubled down on his nastiness.

If he doesn't do much moderating, would he miss his Moderator badge? Would anyone miss his contribution?
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/