Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by Patrick »

Beautiful plants Tina and quite a difference, how do you know they don't like the black top dressing and in what way?
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

I put it on a couple of different plants and look unhappy- colour loss, a bit stressed, cactus & succulents, slowly taking it off again & a bit of fresh soil, they will be fine. I like aquarium gravel as there no sharp stones but black gravel looks good as a top dressing. I don't top dress all plants.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

They are lovely plants Tina but isn't the one on the right a 'Kichiokan'?
The vertical growth of the rosette and merged spines at the end of the leaf look just like other plants under that name. Lots of different leaf marking within that group though.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

I've got a few hybrids that could be interesting

Ovatifolia x salmiana, picture of the mother plant, not my smaller plant. Should be a tough agave for our climate.
Screenshot_20231009-200935_Samsung Internet.jpg
Agave parryi x flexispina
PXL_20231108_094948966.jpg
So far a nice bluish seedlings Hopefully the parryi influence will make it hardier.

Looking forward to growing a hybrid called Azul Monterrey, a naturally occurring cross of parryi/ovatifolia ? Seen pictures ofca mature plant and looks a really good looking plan

I fully understand the purist views on naturally occurring hybrids, but personally speaking, some are just beautiful like Blue Brian, a cross between potatorum x parrasana. It's found its spot underneath my large montana and its developing into a good looking Agave.
IMG_20230624_194922_310.jpg
Talking of blue 💙, Agave celsii nova has been brought into the greenhouse just to protect it a little more than under the shelter.
IMG_20230805_174916_650.jpg
Wayne
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Wayne,
Looking very healthy, love the celsii & blue Brian, he is still on my wish list
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by NorfolkExotics »

The nova looks great, wish there had been more left at Wisley when I was there.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Edd,
Not sure if separate photo's will show the difference but to get them together is a lot of moving about.
This is a fully grown kichiokan, maybe 30cm pan
20231203_141454.jpg
The 'ice queen' is 40cm ( I think) and a beast, much bigger than kichiokan, I thought it might flower soon.
Its got whiter variegation not creamy yellow
20231203_141505.jpg
Tina

Bucks, UK
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks Tina and I don't blame you for not moving them! I can't even get to some of mine currently!

These are definitely distinct clones (with cracking crisp variegation on the Ice Queen - I shall have to keep my eye out for an Ice Queen! ) but I wonder if many of these different clones are like different forms of the same species/hybrid/variety? (With the joined up spine bases at the tips of the leaf and vertical growth habit.)

Those characteristics don't seem to match up well to an already described species so I was lumping them all as forms of 'Kichiokan' (which isn't very taxonomically correct, I know) until someone works out what that Agave actually is!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Those type of plants are not my thing but, wow, what beautifully grown and presented agaves!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

They are indeed beautiful 😍 looking specimens.

Its also made me smile with the name Ice Queen, I've see it as Ice Cream, Eye Scream, lol.

Wayne