Winter growers and their requirements

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Darren S
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Winter growers and their requirements

Post by Darren S »

Aiko wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:14 pm
AllanA wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:35 am I treat my Conophytums as Autumn and spring growers, keeping them dry in december, January and early february.
My Tylecodens are treated similar except if we get a few days of bright weather, they then get a splash of water.
The Conophytums might not mind this. But if you grow African bulbs that are winter active (such as Massonia and Lachenalia), you will notice after a few weeks of being dry in December, January and February that the leaves are becoming very droopy. They like to get continuous watering through winter.
Agree. Also - Irids like Moraea might not wilt like Massonia and Lachenalia but they will abort their flowers if allowed to go dry. My conophytum will probably get a mid-winter watering if in small pots, the bigger ones being less likely to dry out.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Thanks all for the input, much appreciated.

I Googled the book mentioned by Ralph, and as best I recall it is the only time I have ever done such a search and received no results whatsoever! So I think you were lucky to get a copy ianstrutt, well done! I doubt a letter to Santa is going to help me with this one...

Thanks again.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

JonNo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:30 am Thanks all for the input, much appreciated.

I Googled the book mentioned by Ralph, and as best I recall it is the only time I have ever done such a search and received no results whatsoever! So I think you were lucky to get a copy ianstrutt, well done! I doubt a letter to Santa is going to help me with this one...

Thanks again.
Assuming it arrives, I'll try and get it scanned. It's only a short booklet I think.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

Aiko wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:14 pm
AllanA wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:35 am I treat my Conophytums as Autumn and spring growers, keeping them dry in december, January and early february.
My Tylecodens are treated similar except if we get a few days of bright weather, they then get a splash of water.
The Conophytums might not mind this. But if you grow African bulbs that are winter active (such as Massonia and Lachenalia), you will notice after a few weeks of being dry in December, January and February that the leaves are becoming very droopy. They like to get continuous watering through winter.
🖒 (tu)
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

ianstrutt wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:06 am
JonNo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:30 am Thanks all for the input, much appreciated.

Thanks again.
Assuming it arrives, I'll try and get it scanned. It's only a short booklet I think.
🖒 (tu)
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Thanks again.
A bit more research suggests it is eleven pages long. If when convenient we could come to some sort of arrangement, that would be very much appreciated...
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Thanks again.
The booklet arrived last night - what's the consensus around sharing scans of things like this that are hard to come by? More than happy to do it, but I don't want to break any rules.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

ianstrutt wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:42 am The booklet arrived last night - what's the consensus around sharing scans of things like this that are hard to come by? More than happy to do it, but I don't want to break any rules.
I would be more afraid of breaking the copyright laws, but am happy to help assess the severity of the offense if sent the scans :mrgreen:
Mat
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

ianstrutt wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:42 am

Thanks again.
The booklet arrived last night - what's the consensus around sharing scans of things like this that are hard to come by? More than happy to do it, but I don't want to break any rules.
Yes, that's a moot point... I'm sure it probably goes on "under the radar" all the time, but of course that doesn't make it technically OK. I'll await the conclusion with interest.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

ianstrutt wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:42 am

Thanks again.
In my opinion it is okay if the book is no longer being sold and cannot be found anywhere on the internet as a pdf form. The author/publishing company is neither making money or losing money for copies shared around. It would be great if it were uploaded for archive purposes.