The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on 23 September 2023 - the photographs thread not the politics

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on 23 September 2023 - the photographs thread not the politi

Post by MikeT »

At Harlow Carr, the organisers had a job fitting everything in. The show was spread over 2 different rooms, so that didn't help, and it turned out that the available table space was less than ideal, so plants were a bit squashed together. There are bound to be glitches for the first time at a new venue, and lessons to be learned for the next time. Overall I thought the organisers did a good job, lots of very well grown plants to enjoy, people to talk to, and sales plants to buy.

Speaking of plants to enjoy, looking forward to the next lot of photos.

Regarding the Best Succulent in Show award, it was Adromischus nanus, I heard Graham Charles saying that the plant came years ago from Chris Rodgerson. Chris subsequently told me that he finds it a plant that is prone to rot/botrytis, and growing it to the size Graham has is definitely an achievement.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
TraceyM
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: The Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr on 23 September 2023 - the photographs thread not the politi

Post by TraceyM »

Herts Mike wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:24 pm Terry, do you know the identity of the second and third Aloes?
I have contacted the winners of the Aloe class.

The first prize was awarded to Aloe bellatula (from Madagascar)

The second prize winner wasn't sure but I notice it had been identified on the forum so I will let them know. Thank you.

The third prize was awarded to Aloe dawei X elgonica cross

Also many thanks to Terry for his wonderful photos of our show. I have received many thanks, by email and at our branch meeting last week, to pass onto Terry.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

class 31 IMG_7023.JPG
I am indebted to Assistant Show Manager Kathy for her picture of the Class 31 entry which has attracted some discussion.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Apologies - Classes 35 and 36 will be posted much later today
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

The last few photos have been posted on https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 57#p338557