tylecodon grandiflorus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

tylecodon grandiflorus

Post by ianstrutt »

Hi all,

I had some problems keeping this plant upright last year as it grew new leaves. I had to stake it up all through the winter as it had a tendency to sag badly as soon as it dried out a bit.

It seems a bit more solid this year but is sagging slightly under the weight of the new growth. Does this look like normal growth? Other plants I've seen look a little more compact. It's now in the greenhouse so it's getting as much light as possible.
IMG_9870 (1).jpg
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: tylecodon grandiflorus

Post by Apicra »

This plant is naturally a scrambler through surrounding vegetation. I would advise keeping the stems upright - next year they should be large enough to attempt to flower, which is the whole point of growing this species. If you loop the three stems together with a tie, they should balance upright, but a stake may be needed eventually. They are thirsty plants in winter and may need a few extra drinks cf. more xeric spp.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by ianstrutt »

Thanks very much Derek. I was surprised last year quite how much water it would take and also how sad it looked when it was dry. I’ll do as you suggested. Cheers, Ian
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Apicra wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:08 pm This plant is naturally a scrambler through surrounding vegetation. I would advise keeping the stems upright - next year they should be large enough to attempt to flower, which is the whole point of growing this species. If you loop the three stems together with a tie, they should balance upright, but a stake may be needed eventually. They are thirsty plants in winter and may need a few extra drinks cf. more xeric spp.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Good advice. I grew this species with very little effort in coastal California. It regularly bloomed with the largest (zygomorphic like) flowers that I've seen in this genus. Of the species I've grown only two came that close in size (but less showy); T. paniculatus and the variety dinterii. On iNaturalist I found the observations in the NE most areas were more upright (among rocks without competing shrubs) than closer to Cape Town.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

This species also presents growers with a challenge in that it is not deciduous. How many of the old leaves should be cut off? They can impede new growth when a specimen has more branches.

I like to keep a few dead leaves around each stem to illustrate the character of the spices, but cut most off each year to keep plants relatively tidy.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble