Aporocactus flagelliformis cultivation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Aporocactus flagelliformis cultivation

Post by MikeT »

habanerocat wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:19 pm Is Aporocactus mallisonii a good species?

Never heard of it until I saw a post there now on Facebook. Or is it some sort of a Disocactus hybrid?

I can’t find much on it.
It's a hybrid, so should be Disocactus x mallisonii. It's D. flagelliformis x D. speciosus. Stems are quite a bit thicker than flagelliformis, fewer ribs, and less flexible (more easily broken). Flowers are larger than flagelliformis.

Typo corrected: Disocactus NOT Discocactus
Last edited by MikeT on Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

Thanks Mike.
How hardy is it, do you know?

I don't have any Disocactus as they don't tend to be very hardy, if I recall correctly.....
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

habanerocat wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:11 am Thanks Mike.

I don't have any Disocactus as they don't tend to be very hardy, if I recall correctly.....
Both flagelliformis and x mallisonii survived the 2010-11 winter in an unheated greenhouse (many other previously hardy plants didn't) and had been fine without heat for years before that. Since then I've installed a heater to use when predicted temperatures are below -2 or-3C. Neither of them has ever seemed upset by cold. The only proviso is that they are dry at the roots. I haven't tried either outdoors, but if you check back on this thread, Herts Mike has kept his flagelliformis outdoors for years and it thrives.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Just to add to Mike’s reply, Disocactus speciosus is quite tolerant of low temperatures, as is Disocactus phyllanthoides although the latter will get brown spots if cold. Disocactus crenatus is very tough. I tend to keep mine warmer than 5C in the winter but that’s because they share a greenhouse with more tender plants. In the past they have all been down to around 4 or 5 C with no obvious problems apart from the aforementioned spots on phyllanthoides (which seem to develop anyway despite keeping the plant warm)
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Thanks for the above posts.
Informative rating.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Ali Baba wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:51 pm

Just to add to Mike’s reply, Disocactus speciosus is quite tolerant of low temperatures, as is Disocactus phyllanthoides although the latter will get brown spots if cold. Disocactus crenatus is very tough. I tend to keep mine warmer than 5C in the winter but that’s because they share a greenhouse with more tender plants. In the past they have all been down to around 4 or 5 C with no obvious problems apart from the aforementioned spots on phyllanthoides (which seem to develop anyway despite keeping the plant warm)
Good information. This conversation has led me to include Aporocactus on my next seed order to ADBLPS.