New book on plant poaching (+ podcast episode)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

New book on plant poaching (+ podcast episode)

Post by MatDz »

I just listened to a new episode of the (in) famous "Crime Pays but Botany Doesn't" podcast (click) where the host talks with Jared D. Margulies, the author of "The Cactus Hunters, Desire and Extinction in the Illicit Succulent Trade" (click), which I thought might be of an interest to some here.
Last edited by MatDz on Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mat
Simon S
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Re: New book on plant pouching (+ podcast episode)

Post by Simon S »

Jared was a long-time member of Sheffield Branch as he completed his post-doc here. He travelled extensively to research this book - which also touches (humorously) on BCSS meetings and events like ELK. I've been lucky enough to review the first chapter and am looking forward to it immensely.

Anyone who quotes the BBC series, The Detectorists, is OK by me: "I had a friend once. He had a cactus. Same cactus sitting on his windowsill for 15 years. And then one day, someone gave him a second cactus and within six months he had to move to a bigger house with enough space for his cactus collection."

Jared won't mind me mentioning I hope that anyone interested in this book can get 40% off with the code MN90240
https://z.umn.edu/CactusHunters
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Thank you Simon for sharing the code, I will certainly purchase the book, even if just to read about the beer-fueled visit to Czech Republic in the "Between the Iron Curtain and the Glass House" chapter! I didn't know about Jared's history in the UK, this makes the book even more desired.

Strangely, I was one click from purchasing it now, but then realised that "tax and shipping + handling charge of future shipping items will be applied separately". I'd rather know the full cost before sending them my card details, so I will purchase it after the official release date.
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Sounds interesting, I thought pouching was a new growing technique.

Mat I thought you were a teacher, someone is going to get the red pen out
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Re: New book on plant poaching (+ podcast episode)

Post by MatDz »

Tina wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:54 am Sounds interesting, I thought pouching was a new growing technique.

Mat I thought you were a teacher, someone is going to get the red pen out
Okay, this took me way too long to realise, I'll see myself out now... :cac4:
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Maybe go via specsavers, just teasing :lol:, you should see my whats app messages if I try typing fast, I look totally dyslexic.
I suffer from FFS - fat finger syndrome
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Rather odd priority and economy prices aside, shipping ($50) comes to about 4x the cost of the book itself ($14), would anyone be interested in a joint order?
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Simon S wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:24 pm Jared won't mind me mentioning I hope that anyone interested in this book can get 40% off with the code MN90240
https://z.umn.edu/CactusHunters
An update on shipping costs, it's $10 for "International Mail", looks good to me.

Simon, I wonder if you would know about any new code as the old one expired :mrgreen:
Mat
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

It seems to be more widely available and is on Amazon.....
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Only Kindle at the moment, and the postage cost isn't that terrible really. I think there's 0% import tax on books in the UK as well.
Mat