A few recent flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A few recent flowers

Post by ianstrutt »

The Arrajadoa is great - I've not seen flowers similar to that before.
Tina wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:11 pm Surprised how small the flowers are compared to the plant, especially when you compare it to your ones.
Recent acquisitions but at least I haven't killed them yet, still need to repot a few of them
Do you repot all new plants you purchase out of interest? I generally do, but I've got a couple of Tony's plants that are quite big including a big pterocactus australis that I'm fairly sure is going to fall to pieces if I repot it!
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus ssl albiflorus
EF453F3B-5C62-4FA6-9F0B-5BB1735687D8.jpeg
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Ian,
No, not always sometimes I leave them to get used to my growing conditions first but ideally I like to so they are all in the same soil & I can check out the roots & bug search, I'll just do the odd one when I have time, some of my small/less special cacti have to go now to make space .
Some of Tonys weren't watered as he had only done one section before becoming poorly so they should only be watered for a while until the hydrate I'm sure you will know when they are ready.

I'm not sure with ptero's if they are less likely to drop arms before or after watering, I just throw all the bits away as they are quite spiny.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Tina wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:17 pm Hi Ian,
No, not always sometimes I leave them to get used to my growing conditions first but ideally I like to so they are all in the same soil & I can check out the roots & bug search, I'll just do the odd one when I have time, some of my small/less special cacti have to go now to make space .
Some of Tonys weren't watered as he had only done one section before becoming poorly so they should only be watered for a while until the hydrate I'm sure you will know when they are ready.

I'm not sure with ptero's if they are less likely to drop arms before or after watering, I just throw all the bits away as they are quite spiny.
I went through a stage of rooting all the bits that dropped off my tuberosus before I realised that nobody wanted them!

This one is p. australis and it was very dry. It's had some water now and is definitely perking up. Might be one to repot next year...
IMG_8622.jpg
This is the first time I've bought plants with provenance. I'm much more worried about harming these than with any plants I've had in the past - it's a strange feeling.

Thankfully, two of the other plants I bought were a kedrostis, which is currently trying to take over the shelf it's on and a leuchtenbergia that I'm much more confident in dousing a bit more liberally. Hoping for flowers this year...
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

This E. bulbocalyx (var marayesensis) has pink flowers. Others are white with a pink throat.
marayesensis-0719.jpg
Cheshire, UK
PhilipPV
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON

Post by PhilipPV »

Today's star in my greenhouse: Matucana intertexta (celendinensis). The plant body is not a great testament to my skill as a grower (I have a lot like that) but it still flowers for me.
Matucana celendinensis 01.jpg
Aylostera fiebrigii (vallegrandensis) L353 has recently started a second flush of flowers
Aylostera vallegrandensis 01.jpg
And last week ×Chamaelobivia 'Lincoln Stardust' (only acquired a few weeks ago) put on this show:
Chamaelobivia Lincoln Stardust 01.jpg
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by anders »

My best homemade chamaecereus hybrid:
chamfer.jpg
chamfer.jpg (63.91 KiB) Viewed 308 times
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

anders wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:35 am My best homemade chamaecereus hybrid:
chamfer.jpg
Nice looker
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Mike,
Your plant can't read its own label, 'Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus ssl albiflorus' should it be pinkyflorus.
Ian- that is a lovely plant, you should share out cuttings :wink: :wink: .
Anders- lovely flower, you must be pleased with it.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Elizabeth
BCSS Branch Official
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Elizabeth »

Very attractive hybrid you've created, Anders!
Elizabeth
Harrow Branch