First Huernia flower of the season

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
grinel
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

First Huernia flower of the season

Post by grinel »

Or maybe last flower of the season that ended? My first stap flower since a O variegata did me the honor back when I was in my early teens, so either way, I'll take it!
20230403_180834.jpg
Varied collection, mix of regular and hardy cacti, stapeliads and mesembs, along with other South African succulents. Particular interest in stapeliads these days
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: First Huernia flower of the season

Post by ralphrmartin »

That's an attractive flower. Which Huernia is it?
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
grinel
Registered Guest

Post by grinel »

Thanks Ralph. I bought it as H pendula, but I think the seller was confused and it's in fact pendurata. The stems are a little too pointy for pendula, I think; also the petals are rolling back now and from a different angle it looks more like what it is in reality, bristles and all.
Attachments
Pendurata 1.JPG
Pendurata 2.JPG
Varied collection, mix of regular and hardy cacti, stapeliads and mesembs, along with other South African succulents. Particular interest in stapeliads these days
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by ianstrutt »

Not the point of this post at all, but that's a lovely little dorstenia that's snuck into your photo!
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
grinel
Registered Guest

Post by grinel »

Thanks, that's one of the plants that's confusing me a bit, it's growing a few leaves and a couple of flowers each year but the actual growth has been minimal for the 3 years I've had it. Last growing season was the worst, it grew 2-3 leaves all year. I think I'm keeping it too dry.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by ianstrutt »

grinel wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:24 am Thanks, that's one of the plants that's confusing me a bit, it's growing a few leaves and a couple of flowers each year but the actual growth has been minimal for the 3 years I've had it. Last growing season was the worst, it grew 2-3 leaves all year. I think I'm keeping it too dry.
I have no idea what I'm doing with mine either. I've kept it dry and warm over the winter but it looks a bit sad. I've got a feeling it has lost its main growing point as well - all the leaves it produced towards the end of last summer were almost at ground level from new growth.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.