Cactus Pricing?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH DEVON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cactus Pricing?

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Hello everyone, I'm starting a small business selling mainly astrophytum asterias, everything from normal and nudum to superkabuto, startype and more. I'm just not sure how much I should sell them for, I want to be reasonable but there really aren't many uk sellers of asterias anymore. What would you pay for these plants, most of them are around 5cm of so.
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Cactus Pricing?

Post by Stuart »

Compared with most other plant species,cacti are pretty cheap in relation to the time involved in growing them. I usually price Astrophytums - mostly Asterias and Capricorne/Asterias hybrids at £4 but it's not unusual to list them on ebay and have them sell for the starting price of £2.50. I don't think anyone would complain at £5 for a nicely grown Astrophytum in a 6.5cm pot. I'd suggest taking a tray full to a branch meeting or booking a table at a cactus mart next year to see how they sell.

Stuart
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member

Thank you, I'll give that a go :)
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

A couple more thoughts after an hour working in the greenhouse. Generally, if a plant looks good, the price doesn't matter too much and people tend to look at the plant before the price. If one of my £4 plants was priced between £3 and £7 it would probably sell just as well. Also, anyone can buy a plant wholesale and sell it at a profit but growing a quality plant from seed is a skill that not many of us can do. Those who produce quality seed-grown plants don't appreciate their own talent and generally sell them for well below what I'd consider their true value.
If you take plants to a show or meeting and a nurseryman buys the lot - it does happen - then it's a sign they were priced too low. At a time when nurseries are closing with more closing soon, it's good to see new young growers coming along.

Stuart
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member

Ok thank you,.there are curtain plants that I wouldn't sell as cheap as my normal asteriases for example since astros are so variable, you get wierd mutants popping up occasionally. It really depends on the individual plant I think. Thanks again :)
Henry,