Meet and Greet

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Acid John
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Meet and Greet

Post by Acid John »

I should just add I did have a Eticket on my phone.
Acid John
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Someone asked David Neville who he was. He said "I've been telling people all morning that I'm David Neville". I couldn't resist adding "That's what I've been telling people all morning too, just in case they want their money back..." :lol: :cool:
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Skribbane
Registered Guest
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Skribbane »

It was good to chat with you too, Ralph!
Vice-chair Sheffield branch & Internet Committee member. @xericdelights on Instagram. 700 plants later and I still haven't picked a favourite genus!
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:09 pm Someone asked David Neville who he was. He said "I've been telling people all morning that I'm David Neville". I couldn't resist adding "That's what I've been telling people all morning too, just in case they want their money back..." :lol: :cool:
Excellent, Ralph. That is just the sort of thing Stuart Riley says when he is near David Neville - so there must have been at least three David Nevilles there yesterday! :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Many of the nurseries had nothing to say who they were. I always have a t-shirt that helps me blend into the background but I do have the name there even though it is getting a bit faded. It was good to meet so many people who had come because I included a leaflet about the National with most of the plants I've sold online.

Stuart
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Stuart wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:53 pm Many of the nurseries had nothing to say who they were. I always have a t-shirt that helps me blend into the background but I do have the name there even though it is getting a bit faded. It was good to meet so many people who had come because I included a leaflet about the National with most of the plants I've sold online.

Stuart
Not sure who I bought most of my plants from to be honest!

Good to finally meet you Ralph. I didn’t buy anything from you on Saturday but I feel like I’ve made up for it in the past!
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
TraceyM
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by TraceyM »

It was lovely to see you again Ralph.

Kathy thinks it is hilarious that I tell people I know you! Although after Saturday I know a few more people now.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

A low tech solution to the problem.
Give folk a sticky label as they enter the show. Ask them to write their name and forum handle on it.
Or is that too simple?
And too difficult to manage?
Requires staff?
Too costly?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

At ELK all the nurserymen have badges with their name and nursery name, all those there for the weekend have name badges with a flag to show which country they're from. A sticker for the National would have been fine though if we'd thought of it earlier, I'm sure Chris L would have printed us some name badges. Maybe next time.

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Stuart wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:59 am At ELK all the nurserymen have badges with their name and nursery name, all those there for the weekend have name badges with a flag to show which country they're from. A sticker for the National would have been fine though if we'd thought of it earlier, I'm sure Chris L would have printed us some name badges. Maybe next time.

Stuart
Absolutely. Name badges would help both purchasers and vendors. I was thinking for purchasers, a sticky label badge wouldn't break the BCSS bank account.
And you are most definitely right. Chris would make an excellent job of providing preprinted for vendors.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.