What has happened to my Lophophora?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

What has happened to my Lophophora?

Post by el48tel »

PSX_20220902_123546.jpg
PSX_20220826_211201.jpg
It started to push out a few pups, but during the last couple of days the top of one of the pups has "split".
What's going on?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Re: What has happened to my Lophophora?

Post by Echinocactus123 »

This usually happens when a lopho absorbs too much water at once.
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Thanks Henry
I had my suspicions
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

There's an offset inside, about to burst out. It's something Lophs tend to do, I think it's something distinct from splits due to overwatering, the splitting occurs after the offset has already formed. On my plants, it happens more often when there's been RSM damage and scarring, but can happen on undamaged heads. Overwatering splits tend to be linear, vertical, rather than these small holes that split as the new head beneath expands.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Thanks MikeT
I'll await the unfolding / unfurling of the mystery
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Echinocactus123 »

el48tel wrote: โ†‘Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:15 am Thanks MikeT
I'll await the unfolding / unfurling of the mystery
Oh sorry about that, I thought you meant the pup had actually cracked/split, (which would usually be down to overwatering.
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Echinocactus123 wrote: โ†‘Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:38 am Oh sorry about that, I thought you meant the pup had actually cracked/split, (which would usually be down to overwatering.
There isn't any such in the photographs, though.

My few Lophophoras tend to push already formed offshoots out as well, albeit much smaller than yours, el48tel.

I've also seen photographs of L. growing brand new bodies (heads?) within/under the old ones and then decapitating themselves (heads it is :mrgreen: ). Strange creatures are they.
Mat
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Tanked up on mescaline sure.
What can you expect? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ”†๐Ÿ˜‚
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: โ†‘Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:00 am
Echinocactus123 wrote: โ†‘Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:38 am Oh sorry about that, I thought you meant the pup had actually cracked/split, (which would usually be down to overwatering.
There isn't any such in the photographs, though.

My few Lophophoras tend to push already formed offshoots out as well, albeit much smaller than yours, el48tel.

I've also seen photographs of L. growing brand new bodies (heads?) within/under the old ones and then decapitating themselves (heads it is :mrgreen: ). Strange creatures are they.
Yes ..... strange .... but fascinating nonetheless.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

habanerocat wrote: โ†‘Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:55 am Tanked up on mescaline sure.
What can you expect? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ”†๐Ÿ˜‚
Yes no doubt