Astrophytum asterias 'superkabuto v-type'

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
esp
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Astrophytum asterias 'superkabuto v-type'

Post by esp »

Apicra wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:24 pm Transparent (or translucent) pots do not work in practice. You will get algal growth on the inner surface.

Best regards,
Derek Tribble
Clear containers work fine in practise. I use them for seed raising, some seedlings may stay in them for a few years after their colleagues have been thinned out. I find supermarket deli pots handy for slightly larger plants too - short, wide squat, stable containers. For vigorous plants kept rather wetter, the algal coating can get fairly thick. For more xeric types, it' can be minimal.
It doesn't seem to make much practical difference for cultivation, although obviously unsightly for showing or a house plant.
I often use containers without drain holes too, but that's a different branch of heresy.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Stuart wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:32 am The Dutch grow orchids in clear pots and they wouldn't do it without a good reason.
(Most common) orchids are epiphytes and their roots are adapted to photosynthesis, so a clear pot is clearly beneficial.
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

MatDz wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:40 pm
Stuart wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:32 am The Dutch grow orchids in clear pots and they wouldn't do it without a good reason.
(Most common) orchids are epiphytes and their roots are adapted to photosynthesis, so a clear pot is clearly beneficial.
While most epiphytic orchid roots can photosynthesize, most will happily bury their roots in a conventional pot if the moisture levels suit it better.

I use clear pots for most types of orchids when they're small so I can keep an eye on the roots; whether they're epiphytic or not and then switch some into other containers as they get bigger.

Clear pots also have the big advantage of allowing you to keep a good eye on the compost as if it is starting to break down it can be fatal for lots of orchids. Lots of roots out of the pot are often a sign of this too.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Echinocactus123 »

I find clear pots are also good for checking if the soil is still wet.
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I think algal growth is to do with the surface (roughness perhaps) of the pot. I've even had certain somewhat translucent terracotta coloured plastic pots grow algae on the inner surface in some cases.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
TomInTucson
Registered Guest

Post by TomInTucson »

(tu)
MatDz wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:40 pm