Senecio stapeliformis seeds...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Senecio stapeliformis seeds...

Post by Colin Walker »

John Foster wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:37 pm
Colin Walker wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:26 am Senecio was a huge genus of 2,000 or so spp. but is gradually being split up. So eventually NO succulent spp. will remain in this genus since they're evolutionary far removed from Senecio vulgaris, the common groundsel, which is the type sp. of Senecio.
Colin - what about borderline-succulent species? Will they remain in Senecio? I'm thinking of macroglossus, ruwenzoriensis, oxyriifolius, tropaeolifolius, angulatus.
Hello John, wondered when you'd have a say in this? :grin:

No, none of these will remain in Senecio because they're all very, very distantly related to the groundsel S. vulgaris. These like the Madagascan Senecio baronii, crassissmus, decaryi, etc. etc. are currently orphaned in the dustbin genus that's left as Senecio, but rest assured, all these will be moved elsewhere, most to new genera, in the not too distant future. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
John Foster
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by John Foster »

Colin Walker wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:15 am
Colin Walker wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:26 am Senecio was a huge genus of 2,000 or so spp. but is gradually being split up. So eventually NO succulent spp. will remain in this genus since they're evolutionary far removed from Senecio vulgaris, the common groundsel, which is the type sp. of Senecio.
Colin - what about borderline-succulent species? Will they remain in Senecio? I'm thinking of macroglossus, ruwenzoriensis, oxyriifolius, tropaeolifolius, angulatus.

No, none of these will remain in Senecio because they're all very, very distantly related to the groundsel S. vulgaris. These like the Madagascan Senecio baronii, crassissmus, decaryi, etc. etc. are currently orphaned in the dustbin genus that's left as Senecio, but rest assured, all these will be moved elsewhere, most to new genera, in the not too distant future. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Thanks Colin, I look forward to learning some new names!

By the way, as I'm sure you realise, it's S. crassissimus.
John Foster
Zone 9 Rep
Gloucester Branch Chairman
Smel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Smel »

Hi All,
Thanks for your replies!! Who would think I'd get 22 replies to my simple question, offten I get no replies at all. So I'm the winner I don't care what it's name is, as long as it flowers and I enjoy it and what I'm doing.
You lot can argue and disagree at much as you like, I've seen plants moved to a new genus, only to be moved back again later! And DNA!!

Mel.
Open your mind, but not too much, your brain might fall out !!
BCSS Member Leicester.

I also like photography, electronics, model building......etc.
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

John Foster wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:07 pm
Colin Walker wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:15 am

Thanks Colin, I look forward to learning some new names!

By the way, as I'm sure you realise, it's S. crassissimus.
Thanks John, you're right of course. :shock:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University