Cacti Economics and the 20th century dream

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KarlR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Cacti Economics and the 20th century dream

Post by KarlR »

Flayzerflay wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:30 pm Not bothered Tina, just curious like the innocence of two todlers of different racial backgrounds touching each others faces prior to indoctrination.
It's something i am trying to promote being a balanced xenial and am prepared to be the hated scape goat for the greater good but if this place wants more younger members who actually contribute then one must accept that words effect causality and words have consequences :smile:
Some folk on this forum are too easy to attack and the world is watching, places and people have been shut down for less.
Gone a little off topic huh :lol:
What on earth are you even trying to say?

I don't get what this whole thread is about?
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Neither do I, Karl (and I've had excellent plants from Hungary etc.)
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Flayzerflay
Registered Guest

Post by Flayzerflay »

[/quote]

Nothing like a bit of racist xenophobia, hey?!
I’ve had excellent service and plants from the European growers.
I smell a troll.
[/quote]

Racist? more like experience, why are you not supporting UK nurseries? maybe you smell a troll because your words smell bad.
Flayzerflay
Registered Guest

Post by Flayzerflay »

[/quote]

What on earth are you even trying to say?

I don't get what this whole thread is about?
[/quote]

As i said i went off topic Karl Sorry,
Flayzerflay
Registered Guest

Post by Flayzerflay »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18 pm I am not sure how much F-Flay knows about the UK nursery trade. There are I think only two substantial succulent nurseries, plus a third now in decline, all of which produce most of their own plants. All of the others are of the small back-garden, part-time genre. Some of these produce most of their own plants, but many others rely on buying in plants, often from other European countries. The overheads for the latter are likely to rise considerably next year when we finally leave the EU and find that the costs and bureaucracy of CITES and Phytosanitary documentation are reimposed. There could well be an opportunity here for UK producers.
Not a lot Terry hence asking, hearing from you and el48tel adds value to the post.

Oh and Diane i would have thought you would have jumped on this sooner, what took you so long :lol:
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I can only think of one cactus & succulent nursery in the UK that grows its own plants and could be called 'substantial'. I wonder where the other two are?

Stuart
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

"Oh and Diane i would have thought you would have jumped on this sooner, what took you so long "

Why do you say that? Please explain yourself.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

I have to say that the enthusiasts who have replied over the past few days should realise that they are dealing with a very very knowledgeable and obviously intelligent grower in Flayzerflay!! I mean this person knew straight away that one of my Lophophora caespitosa plants was both sunburnt and underwatered despite the pan that it grows in touching the second plant that is apparently being treated as it should be. Forum rules state topics relating to just five subjects only and are nothing to do with the gobbledegook that Flayzerflay started off with.
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

John E wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 pm [...] Forum rules state topics relating to just five subjects only and are nothing to do with the gobbledegook that Flayzerflay started off with.
Wow, just went through this thread. Someone missed their morning coffee or had one too many!
Mat
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Yes, not a lot of humour was there !
I tried to do my bit :-

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 am
>Flayzerflay wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:01 pm
1. You are retired with no outgoings.

>> MalcolmP2 wrote: When you are retired everything seems to be going out.

but FZF was so deep in the red mist that the doublenintendo (eyes, back, knee joint - insert ailment of choice) was nowhere near being contemplated and I just got moaned at for my troubles. Didnt expect anything else tho'.

Now I'll probably get moaned at for not letting a stupid topic die a natural.

I suppose we could invite FZF down into Bob's Corner and have a right good dingdong about frugal generations not inheriting anything and living through 25% inflation with mortgage at 15% but still managing, , ,

oh ok perhaps not,
after all, it is a hobby to be enjoyed and not to be made money out of, n'est-ce pas ?