help with ID please?

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
JonNo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

help with ID please?

Post by JonNo »

I thought I would post this here as I suspect this is some sort of Haworthia?...

I've had this plant a long time now, I think well over twenty years. It started out as a single rosette on my office window sill... It now measures about 45 cm across, and has formed a "mound" maybe 15 cm high. Late summer it produces between 15 and 20 long stalks with a number of small off white flowers at the end of each. It now lives in my South facing open porch, and no doubt needs re-potting but I don't know what into or where I could subsequently put it! Can you put a name to it for me, please?
P1000062.JPG
P1000063.JPG
P1000064.JPG
P1000125.JPG
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: help with ID please?

Post by Brian »

Looks like Haworthia attenuata to me and it’s as tough as old boots. I have one in a pot outside the back of the house, no room in the greenhouse or even under the patio table. It has been there all winter and looks fine. A washing up bowl is probably the next size for repotting!! As far as I am aware all Haworthia flowers look the same; perhaps I should study them more carefully.
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Brian wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:26 pm Looks like Haworthia attenuata to me and it’s as tough as old boots. I have one in a pot outside the back of the house, no room in the greenhouse or even under the patio table. It has been there all winter and looks fine. A washing up bowl is probably the next size for repotting!! As far as I am aware all Haworthia flowers look the same; perhaps I should study them more carefully.
Thanks Brian.

A book I bought from the RHS describes Haworthia Attenuata and it does seem to "fit" my plant, except for the fact they say the flowers are green... Which did throw me a bit. More than happy to accept your wisdom, thanks for sharing it.

A washing up bowl is an interesting idea!

Thanks for the help.
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

I find haworthias difficult to identify at times. Plants can vary depending on growing conditions and time of year. The flowers seem very similar but the shapes and forms can be interesting. (tu)
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Could it not be H. fasciata, since the upper sides of the leaves have no tubercles and the leaf tips look very healthy and not prone to drying up?
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

jfabiao wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:25 am Could it not be H. fasciata, since the upper sides of the leaves have no tubercles and the leaf tips look very healthy and not prone to drying up?
Hi Z, thanks for the input.

I've looked in my little RHS book and yes, you're right, it does look a definite possibility... The book describes H. Fasciata as being "very similar" to H. Attenuata, but with white flowers (so a tick there!). It also says it has "more exaggerated raised white stripes" than H. Attenuata, and that I'm not so sure about - simply because it is very hard to tell without seeing both side by side!