Plastic-free propagation?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chez2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Plastic-free propagation?

Post by Chez2 »

el48tel wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:42 pm
Chez2 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:15 pm When I was a young child back in the late 60s and 70s I remember dad and granddad using wooden seed trays, you can still buy them.

For our other plants we now sow in compressed pellets of growing medium to save pricking out. We do still use plastic as well as terracotta plant pots. You can get various presses to make your own pellets to suit what you are growing.
My granddad used to up-cycle old fruit boxes obtained from the travelling greengrocer who was only to pleased to be rid of them before the end of his journey
You can still sometimes get the thin fruit boxes. We bought a crate of satsumas from Tesco at Christmas. I don't see the more sturdy ones so much because they tend to use those big plastic crates.
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by peter831shaw »

What do you think about using glass containers? Its really easy to drill holes in the bottom of the containers.

Ball Jars, large mouth, easy to sterilize, in fact you can even use the pressure cooker (anyone still have one of those?) to sterilize the media and the pot and lids at once.

paint the outsides black with high temperature paint....

maybe a great company idea :lol:

I'm sticking with my sturdy plastic ones until one of us breaks down.
Peter Shaw
Geri88
BCSS Member

Post by Geri88 »

peter831shaw wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:53 pm What do you think about using glass containers? Its really easy to drill holes in the bottom of the containers.
I don't have many glass jars around and they tend to get reused indefinitely for jam making, but it's a creative idea. It reminds me of the bean growing experiment we did at school (we used glass jars to be able to see the roots, but we didn't bother drilling holes for the poor beans).
All things small and not (too) spiny.
Geri88
BCSS Member

Post by Geri88 »

I agree that if you already own a nice stock of sturdy plastic pots the best and most eco-friendly course of action is to stick to them, but it is not my case and I do not want to contribute to fuelling the demand for new plastic products by purchasing some.

Thank you to everyone who came up with ideas and memories, and especially ragamala for a documented insight into the past. I shall experiment.
Geri88
BCSS Member

Post by Geri88 »

Chez2 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:15 pm For our other plants we now sow in compressed pellets of growing medium to save pricking out. We do still use plastic as well as terracotta plant pots. You can get various presses to make your own pellets to suit what you are growing.
That's something I've been looking at for my vegetable seeds. Do you find that it works well? I would imagine that success depends on the texture of your compost.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Geri88 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:45 am
Chez2 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:15 pm For our other plants we now sow in compressed pellets of growing medium to save pricking out. We do still use plastic as well as terracotta plant pots. You can get various presses to make your own pellets to suit what you are growing.
That's something I've been looking at for my vegetable seeds. Do you find that it works well? I would imagine that success depends on the texture of your compost.
It has saved a lot of time and root damage when pricking out. It is easier to see when they need potting up too.
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

How about pots made of recycled plastic?
NickHitchcock
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by NickHitchcock »

I have just seen pots in the garden centre made from bamboo and rice, fully compostable and guaranteed to last 5 years.
Northampton and MK member
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

NickHitchcock wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:16 pm I have just seen pots in the garden centre made from bamboo and rice, fully compostable and guaranteed to last 5 years.
This technology has been around for a while. Pet feeding bowls are made this way but they are brittle.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Geri88
BCSS Member

Post by Geri88 »

NickHitchcock wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:16 pm I have just seen pots in the garden centre made from bamboo and rice, fully compostable and guaranteed to last 5 years.
I have been using some for the last 3 seasons for vegetable and flower seeds (the ones I have bought are from the Vipot brand I mentioned earlier) and they are very good. I don't find them brittle at all, they are still going strong. It's a shame they don't make seed trays (as far as I am aware).