A belated Hello

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
juster
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

A belated Hello

Post by juster »

Although I joined the forum some time ago, I realise that I have never introduced myself, so here goes:
I started growing cacti over 50 years ago, when I was still at school - my few plants were then housed on my bedroom window ledge. Joined BCSS {or NCSS as it was then} Croydon branch about 40 years ago and was soon caught up in the enthusiasm of branch meetings, shows, donated cuttings etc. Joan and Ken Harrow were so welcoming and, with others, gave much encouragement to several new members of the branch; marvellous ambassadors for the hobby.
I still attend Croydon branch and have been Show Secretary for a number of years. The collection, still mainly cacti, has expanded to about 200, housed in an 8' x 12' greenhouse. I especially like Gymnocalyciums, Parodias/Notocacti and Echeverias. Now happily retired, and with plenty to learn, I hope to have more time to enjoy my plants and to browse the threads on the forum.
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: A belated Hello

Post by AnTTun »

So, from cacti at school to old (cacti) school :) Welcome aboard :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Keith H »

Hi Juster welcome to the forum. Interesting that you are Croydon Branch show secretary I visited your show last month it was the first time I have been to a cactus event since I was a member of Hull Branch NCSS in the mid 80's. It was good to see what plants were popular at a shows these days and to listen in on some of the members discussions regarding what should have won and in one case doubt over had the owner of one prize winner recently purchased said plant. I left clutching four small plant, my first cacti purchase for over thirty years.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
juster
BCSS Member

Post by juster »

Thanks for the welcome AnTTun and Keith H; Keith I am glad you could come to our show and hope that your new plants do well - you are, of course, most welcome to attend Croydon branch meetings, details on our web page. It is always interesting to hear the various opinions expressed at shows and we can all learn from good natured discussions.
IainS
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by IainS »

Hi Juster. We're much further south of you, near to the coast, and more biased towards the "other succulents" - with a strong love of Echeverias, but we also have a few Notocactus plants amongst the Mammillarias, etc. I think's it's really good when people like yourself make local branches available to newcomers and existing enthusiasts.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
juster
BCSS Member

Post by juster »

Hi Iain, thanks for the welcome. I suspect that most branches would be delighted to see a few more members at their meetings. It is great that, at least in the South East, we have such a range of good speakers available, many of them also bringing lovely sale plants - I really enjoy the meetings and have made many good friends.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias