Haworthia help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Haworthia help

Post by Eric Williams »

Trying my hand at growing Haworthia,read that they need a rest this time of the year to renew roots. Also during this time they do not like water at the roots for this very reason. I Have obtained some plants this w/e, they are all very dry, should I withhold watering for a while. Thanks
srboisvert
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: Haworthia help

Post by srboisvert »

I never rested haworthia while I was in the UK because it never got hot enough for summer dormancy to be a big issue.

If you bought them bare root give them a week or two to settle in before watering. If you bought them already potted up - repot them in a mix you control and then wait a week or two.
Stephen Boisvert
Chicago, USA
My Plant Photos on Flickr
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

I never rest my Haworthias in summer. I give them water from early spring until late in autumn. Just a splash every now and then, usually every two weeks. A bit less when it is getting colder in September and October.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks both, classic example of believing everything you read in a book. Much better to seek help from other growers who have practical experience. Thanks, will do as prescribed. Cheers
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Sylvia »

I have kept my Haworthias dry during August and September since 2002, this was a system recommended by Tom Jenkins years ago and he grew lovely Haworthias. Hot and wet is the time when they are most prine to lose their roots. The only onces I give a little water to are the seedlings.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Silvia for your post, you must have the same info as I read. I have given them a watering but will leave them dry for a while. I also have some plants from much missed Jumanery. Thanks. Do you really grow Haworthia from seed?
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Sylvia »

Hi Eric, Yes I do grow a lot of Haworthias from seed. I have grown from the Haworthia Society seed, my own seed and seed from other sources I find it very rewarding waiting to see them develop especially some of the hybrids.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Bill

Post by Bill »

The varying comments only emphasis "what works for you and your plants".

I am in the water nearly all year camp. I have well over 2,000 Haworthia, do I lose roots on plants well yes with that number some are bound to go, most will regrow without any intervention, some need tlc often re-potting with dry mix and a spell in the propagator. I have not noticed any real correlation between dormancy periods and root loss.

What causes root loss, well some Haworthia do naturally lose and regrow roots but not all otherwise what would anchor them to the ground. They could be susceptible to increased root loss during this period through "poor" cultivation/weather. The actual causes in my opinion are prolonged periods of damp soil, caused by too heavy a soil preventing dying out or watering when it's too cold/damp or too much water at any time.

So my advise is:

1. Don't over-water, little and often is better to allowing drying, I water up to once a week.
2. Don't water when its very cold/damp, this is judgement call.
3. Use a free draining soil mix, plenty of grit.
4. If plants dont seem to be growing but are otherwise healthily reduce watering.
4. Learn what works for you, your plants and their growing environment.

It's also worth noting that much of the literature on growing Haworthia that mentions summer dormancy tends to be written by people in warmer climes, Pilbeam however makes no mention of a summer dormancy and advocates a similar regime to mine.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

Thanks Bill, that's reassuring! Much appreciated. I had been wondering about starting a thread about "summer rest" for Haworthias, so I've been watching this one.
Not tried a propagator for rerooting, though! Would this be an unheated one (except when bottom heat needed trying to salvage a rootless plant in the depths of winter maybe?) with plastic cover with top air-vents open?
Watering could be tricky, if the plant is in an enclosed space wouldn't it be more likely to rot?
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Asclepiad Stevo
Registered Guest
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Asclepiad Stevo »

I've got a clump of H. truncata which I've found tricky to over expose to strong sun but then needing to dry out quickly. I grow it in 80% perlite in a large pot. Try to only water with rain water, esp if in clay pots or the salts increase and get drawn to the pot edge. I don't water from Sept to March generally.
It's got more roots than Jah Shaka man! :-)