Doug Donaldsons plants

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Doug Donaldsons plants

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Mike
Have you looked here for the answers http://zone8.bcss.org.uk/index.php/comp ... on_auction
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
North Lincs Mike
Registered Guest
Branch: GRIMSBY

Post by North Lincs Mike »

Hello Chris.
Thanks for the helpful reply. Yes I have accessed everything I can find but nothing seems to address my specific queries.
Regards Mike
Newish collector/grower; mixed lot in a new 12x18 g/h and my old re-erected 10x8 - good job I didn't sell it !
JoelR
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by JoelR »

North Lincs Mike wrote:Can anyone tell me whether it will be possible to pay for and remove plants before the auction ends.
If one is only interested in the earier lots it is going to be difficult to wait until the end of the sale process. From experience of past auctions the payment and collection takes almost as long as the auction itself.
Mike has raised an important point. If the auction is going to take well over six hours, perhaps it should be conducted in two halves or even split into two auctions. If it's likely to be 6pm or later when the auction finishes and the process of collecting payments could take an hour or two, a lot of people (myself included) who might attend on the off chance of obtaining just one or two nice plants are surely going to be put off especially those of us facing a long drive home afterwards. Numbers attending will of course influence the proceeds and the duration.
400 lots does seem problematic. The exceptionally well organised "Masive Manchester Auction" last May had around 200 lots and took (I think) with one tea break around 4 hours. See the link attached for pictures from that day.
http://www.cactuscorner.co.uk/cacticollection1.htm
Joel
West Yorks
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

There has obviously been a huge amount of work done by those trying to help Doreen, which is superb, voluntery, and selfless. branch auctions can be a bit of a laugh etc. this is different. At one of the auction houses I work at, we aim to do 100-120 lots per hour. It is made clear to bidders to be quick, decisive, and clear, or forget it. With a room of perhaps 300+ bidders the auctioneer and 3 on the floor, lots can be bought, paid for and shifted out pretty quick whilst the auction goes on. This is perhaps an unfair expectation of those who are trying to help out here. - anyone north of Sheffield - I'll hire a minibus, let's just make a day of it - I make good sandwiches !
Pete A
Branch: READING & BASINGSTOKE
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Post by Pete A »

It's going to take all day, but David Kirkbright has experience of doing auctions of this size and he says he can average much more than one plant a minute.

The process will be: plant(s) being auctioned are shown to the bidders and bidding commences. At the same time the next plant(s) are got readied. Plant is sold and bidder number and price are entered into the spreadsheet. Meanwhile the next bidding commences. The plant just sold is laid out in bidder number order and so all plants bought by the same person will be together when it's time to pay up.
Zone 8 Representative (Birmingham, High Wycombe, Kingston-on-Thames, Oxford, Reading & Basingstoke, Woking).
Pete A

Post by Pete A »

Also, the total for each bidder is available from the spreadsheet at any time, so you can leave whenever is convenient for yourself.
Zone 8 Representative (Birmingham, High Wycombe, Kingston-on-Thames, Oxford, Reading & Basingstoke, Woking).
North Lincs Mike
Registered Guest
Branch: GRIMSBY

Post by North Lincs Mike »

Hello Pete A
Thanks for your helpful replies. What you say matches my experiences at cacti auctions but are you talking in general terms. Yes spreadsheets are made up as lots are sold sometimes manually or sometimes on a computer but I have never been to an auction where one can pay at any stage and leave. This normally occurs at the end of selling.
Are you speaking from knowledge of what will happen on 10th July as part of the organising team or after speaking to a member of the team such as David. I think quite a few potential buyers need an authorative and definative answer.
Sorry if I appear pedantic but this will or may be a crucial consideration for many who live north of Watford Gap.
Thanks again Mike
Newish collector/grower; mixed lot in a new 12x18 g/h and my old re-erected 10x8 - good job I didn't sell it !
Pete A

Post by Pete A »

I have spoken to David who has the spreadsheet and the total for each bidder is available at any time. I'll also be manning the spreadsheet on the day.