Sticky Aeonium

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Brian
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Sticky Aeonium

Post by Brian »

The leaves of my aeonium euochiae(?) - approx 9 inches high - have been sticky to touch for some time. I thought it was just that plant but now I have noticed some small round sticky blobbs here and there. Does not seem to be the usual mealy bug, which is more wooly, but perhaps it is? The plant has been put outside the greenhouse to isolate it for now.

I have no idea at all why this is and how to treat it, can anybody help? I was thinking of unpotting it and giving a shower and then repotting.
georged
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Sticky Aeonium

Post by georged »

Any sign of aphids? It sounds like their honeydew.
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.
Brian
BCSS Member

Post by Brian »

No sign of aphids, George, but I am keeping a close look out. Do you think I would expect to see the aphids flying round or will they be hiding!!??
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Brian,

I think the label is mispelled, I believe it should be Aeonium goochiae and this is a sticky leaved species. That is not to say that you do not have aphids on the plant. It is native to the Island of La Palma. Should it flower for you they should be pink.

Best wishes, Suzanne Mace
georged
BCSS Member

Post by georged »

Brian wrote:No sign of aphids, George, but I am keeping a close look out. Do you think I would expect to see the aphids flying round or will they be hiding!!??
If it is aphids you should be able to see them on the plant, usually on the underside of the leaf or at the centre of the plant where the tissue is softest.
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.
Brian
BCSS Member

Post by Brian »

:grin: Thanks topsy and georged. Yes topsy it is probably naturally sticky, so how stupid do I feel? I think there are aphid around too, so will need to keep a watch on them. Thanks for your help again.