Liquid soap Insecticides  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Peter C
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Liquid soap Insecticides

Post by Peter C »

Can anybody tell me what liquid soap to use so as I can make up an organic Insecticide - Fungicide, I have been reading a book by David E Wright called Stuck on Cactus giving the name Ivory as a type, this is an American publication so am unsure if this is available in the UK
Can anybody give me any advice?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Liquid soap Insecticides

Post by iann »

The closest UK equivalent would be Fairy Liquid.
Cheshire, UK
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your help; will Fairy be suitable as it specifies non detergent type soap?
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Liquid soap Insecticides  Solved

Post by Julie »

Or Ecover washing up liquid, to keep it green? I think all that's needed is a surfactant. How about boiling up some of Lakeland's soapnuts (for laundry)? It foams in the machine but as a liquid soap it's not very foamy (compared to the laureth/lauryl suphate family) but it's foamier than the filtrate from boiling up your soapwort leaves.

Maybe add a bit of Neem?

Wonder if Tea Tree oil would work, or be damaging to the plant. It's antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal, don't know about larger critters. Has anyone tested it on a not so dear plant?

End greeny lecture. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Derek
Registered Guest

Post by Derek »

I have found Fairy washing up liquid to be perfectly adequate for drowning red spider mites after years of unsuccessful attempts with proprietary insecticides, some of which have probably done me more harm than the pests! However I have to stress that the spraying of the infested plants has to continue at intervals of about 10 to 14 days until they are clear of pests as the soap doesn't kill the eggs. I usually find three sprayings to be sufficient. Examination of the plants with a powerful magnifying glass will tell you when the mites are all wiped out.
Regards Derek Milton Keynes UK
tony_lb
Registered Guest

Post by tony_lb »

Speaking as a chemist, what I find amusing is, knowing the chemical processing and raw materials which go into commercial soap, how anyone can class it as 'organic' in the modern as opposed to chemical sense of the term. That's not to say it might be better than many of the alternatives. One nice thing is that, unlike detergent, it is acidic so is less likely to hurt plants which benefit from an acid environment. Detergents on the other hand are alkaline.

Tony
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

?? Doesn't soap have sodium hydroxide (that's really hard to wash out) left over from saponification?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

In practice, most soaps will test alkaline. The fatty acid salts that are the key component of soap are not strong acid or alkaline but soap is made using strong alkalis and some of these remain behind. Expect pH 10 from a soap unless it makes explicit claims otherwise. Some are lower (for sensitive sking :)), a very few may actually be on the acid side. Alkaline soap is extremely good for removing grease and oil.

Some detergents are also acid. A good example would be good quality detergents intended for washing cars, since alkali detergents will damage expensive wax finishes.
Cheshire, UK
tony_lb
Registered Guest

Post by tony_lb »

Whoops!

Got it the wrong way round! It's been 10 years since I last taught the topic, but I'm disappointed that my memory would go that fast. Caustic soda and fat would obviously give an alkaline product, and the other ingredients don't help either.

Tony
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Have a look at this site. Some of the soaps are not available in the UK but the Dove brand is, and that one is pH 7, i.e. neutral. I believe they market it on that basis. If you were to use it I guess you would grate it and mix with water. If they neutralise it with boric acid you'll be giving your plants boron, which is a required trace element. Too much might be harmful though.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.