Smaller agaves (and their hardiness)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Smaller agaves (and their hardiness)

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

I'm wanting to add a smaller agave to my outdoor bed and am looking for suggestions? I like the look of a. potatorum but have read conflicting reports as to its hardiness. Any tips?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Re: Smaller agaves (and their hardiness)

Post by Paul in Essex »

Forget potatorum, it isn't UK hardy.

How small is small? Top of my list would be A. polianthiflora, which is very small, also good and hardy - a precocious flowerer with interesting red flowers. Things like toumeyana, toumeyana bella, schottii, parviflora are similar but not quite as nice IMO. A. lechuguilla isn't massive and is pretty tough. A. filifera isn't huge. The hybrids x gracilipes and x arizonica also. A. parryi subsp. neomexicana isn't a whopper. A. striata. There is a form of a. lophantha that has short wide leaves that is tough - sometimes see it with the cv name 'Splendida'.

The utahensis clan are small and, on paper, hardy to cold but I have never been able to overwinter any. I know that others have, which completely baffles me!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

Thanks for this, Paul. Size wise I'm talking 30-40cm diameter or less. I really like the ones with tight rosettes with the wide leaves over the longer, strappy leaves.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Eborispina and nevadensis are now on their 3rd year outdoors.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

greatnorthernexotic wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:18 pm Thanks for this, Paul. Size wise I'm talking 30-40cm diameter or less. I really like the ones with tight rosettes with the wide leaves over the longer, strappy leaves.
There are very few, in that case. Can only suggest you get a larger growing one like one of the parryi group then remove it once it has got too big. Of course the other thing that enters the equation is that ovatifolia is a 'live fast, die young' plant so by the time the other smaller plants are getting too big the ovatifolia might have already flowered and died. Takes around 2-15 years, apparently.

If not, the 'Splendida' form of lophantha might qualify. There is a particular cultivar of Agave parryi subsp. parryi 'JC Roulston' that is cold hardy, said to be moisture tolerant and also remains pretty compact if you can possibly track one of those down from somewhere. They pop up from time to time.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Herts Mike wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:49 pm Eborispina and nevadensis are now on their 3rd year outdoors.
... and that baffles me :grin:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Yes potatorum got frost damage even here in Portugal one year. I'd go for one of the parryi like Paul says, I like neomexicana. The polianthiflora types are very small and very slow in my experience. Agave Lophantha 'Quadricolor' is a lovely plant and supposedly hardy to well below freezing, I've got lots of them but not in the ground yet. They offset like mad so you get get quite a clump or lots of plants.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Paul in Essex wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:47 am Forget potatorum, it isn't UK hardy.

How small is small? Top of my list would be A. polianthiflora, which is very small, also good and hardy - a precocious flowerer with interesting red flowers. Things like toumeyana, toumeyana bella, schottii, parviflora are similar but not quite as nice IMO. A. lechuguilla isn't massive and is pretty tough. A. filifera isn't huge. The hybrids x gracilipes and x arizonica also. A. parryi subsp. neomexicana isn't a whopper. A. striata. There is a form of a. lophantha that has short wide leaves that is tough - sometimes see it with the cv name 'Splendida'.

The utahensis clan are small and, on paper, hardy to cold but I have never been able to overwinter any. I know that others have, which completely baffles me!
The 2 Arizona natives (A. parviflora and A. toumeyana subsp. bella) also are very hardy in other nearby states of the southwestern USA. Apparently, only the larger forms of A. utahensis such as A. utahensis subsp. kaibabensis, and A. utahensis subsp. utahensis do as well under similar conditions.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Would parviflora v flexiflora be hardy here?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

As you are all thinking agave, are these agave toumeyana or toumeyana v.bella or something else :???:
Available a Spalding :wink:
agave q.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.