Habitat-style staging

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Habitat-style staging

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

This is something I've wanted to try for a while. I've seen a few north American growers and collectors do it. So I built myself a rock pot and staged a little dudleya in it, trying to recreate a look reminiscent for habitat.
GridArt_20240405_152653995.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Habitat-style staging

Post by MatDz »

It does look good, doesn't it? But that's a planter worth 8-10 5 cm pots, and when space is a premium... :mrgreen:

In one of the recent CW there was a great article about a similar habitat style planting across the whole greenhouse. It looked splendid on photographs.
Mat
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

That looks fabulous. Hope your staging is strong!
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Great idea. Is that one big rock with a hole drilled out or have you stuck together a few smaller rocks? (I'm thinking of 'borrowing' your idea for some hardy plants to sit on top of my gabions made in rock to match that that fills the gabions.)
Ed

BCSS member 53038
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

Mat - yes that's the trade off I'm working through now! Until now I've put everything in BEF pots with the goal of cramming as much as I can into my 4ft x 6ft greenhouse. Now I'm thinking of having fewer plants and staging them up nicely - I just have to figure out which I can bear to part with! :lol:

Paul - my staging will be reinforced!

Edds - it's a rock I smashed up and reassembled using superglue and folded tissue paper to join the pieces.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Tufa is good for growing plants in directly as it allows water to percolate through. It’s used a lot in alpine gardening. There are some nice examples at Kew. If you can find some it would be worth experimenting with
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

There are quite a few You Tube videos out there where people use angle grinders and the like to make containers
out of natural stone. A different approach to consider for making stone containers, as long as you have the kit and
safety gear and can control all the dust that you'd generate!
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Ali Baba wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:52 am Tufa is good for growing plants in directly as it allows water to percolate through. It’s used a lot in alpine gardening. There are some nice examples at Kew. If you can find some it would be worth experimenting with
Tufa is very soft and alkaline though - not sure some of my plants would like that. An Agave utahensis eborispina in one might look good though!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

edds wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:07 pm
Ali Baba wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:52 am Tufa is good for growing plants in directly as it allows water to percolate through. It’s used a lot in alpine gardening. There are some nice examples at Kew. If you can find some it would be worth experimenting with
Tufa is very soft and alkaline though - not sure some of my plants would like that. An Agave utahensis eborispina in one might look good though!
You can grow lime hating alpines in it if I recall correctly, I don’t think it releases much calcium.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

It's been a while since I looked for any but last time it was all but impossible to get tufa anywhere and, secondhand, it was staggeringly expensive.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.