Under the bench

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW

Under the bench

Post by EdMcKenna »

Having relocated and downsized my new greenhouse, I find myself a bit pushed for top shelf space.
So I'm looking for suggestions of which cacti (mainly) and succulents prefer to spend their summer under the bench or one shelf down.
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Under the bench

Post by AllanA »

Hi Ed, Haworthias are quite happy in the shade and there are some striking hybrids.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member

Post by EdMcKenna »

Hi Allan thanks for the reply, this year is the first time I have included Haworthia and Gasteria in my collection. I have noticed that some of them did not like the south facing window ledge so that confirms that they will all spend the summer under the greenhouse top bench. 👍👍
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

Hi Ed, don't worry if some of your Haworthias go red in summer, it is natural. They will green up again next winter.

Allan
Allan
Orkney
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Gasterias take up the majority of the space under my bench.
IMG_1116.jpeg
Other dormant plants also sit under there. All my conos are currently under the bench and will only be moved when they’re watered late in the summer.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
RayW
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by RayW »

Gymnocalycium and some Notocactus/Parodias are fine in slight shade and under the bench is as good as anywhere for that.
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member

Post by EdMcKenna »

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I think I will have to keep a good on things as we progress into the growing season.
I added some more staging last week into my 10 x 8 greenhouse, done a bit of shuffling of stuff and felt pleased. Until I remembered the tall cacti, the Euphorbia, the less hardy cacti and the newly added Haworthia still have to be accommodated 🤔.
We're into above 10 oC overnight now so I will start doing this today. The bubble wrap has still to come down so under the staging should get a bit more light, it still looks a bit dark which is why I posted this thread. As every summer, a work in progress 😄
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I must say I only put the dormant stuff, Pelargoniums, Bulbine etc under the bench. I’ve always grown Haworthias and Gasterias in the full glare of the sun reckoning that our sun is nothing like the strength of their homeland sun.
Nothing has burnt so far!
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

Hi Mike, Sun may be stronger in SA but a lot of these plants grow in shade, so I prefer to give them shade, espescially the younger ones.
I find that the sun in spring is the worst as it has been dull for so long and then suddenly all day sun whic burns new growth.
As you can tell I am a causious grower :lol:
Once they are red they stop growing, which would save on some of the watering in summer I suppose.
I am assuming you don't use cool glass to provide any shade.
Allan
Orkney
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

You are quite right Allan about spring sunshine. I can remember at my old house a big high pressure weather system in March which meant days of unbroken sunshine which burnt some cacti on the most exposed side. The Haworthias were on the other side and were fine.

Mine have never been red but the colours on Haworthia mutica are wonderful and I’ve never used coolglass.

None of this is of any use to Ed to whom I apologise.