Todays photo

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Todays photo

Post by el48tel »

That's an interesting looking plant .... made more interesting by the sympathetic grit topping which looks almost like camouflage.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

el48tel wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:02 am That's an interesting looking plant .... made more interesting by the sympathetic grit topping which looks almost like camouflage.
Not topping actually, it is Kitty Friend cat litter. No compost just cat litter.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Thanks .... sounds interesting approach
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Very nice plants, Allan, good to see more this year. Thank you for posting. (tu)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

H.Keganii X Green Sugar
H.keganii X Green Sugar.jpg
Looking forward to using this to produce seeds.
Allan
Orkney
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

AllanA wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:55 am H.Keganii X Green SugarH.keganii X Green Sugar.jpg
Hopefully in the Haworthia Society seed list!

I just wish I could get seeds from my plants. Cactus no problem. Mesembs .... ish. Gasteria and Haworthia .... no hope
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

el48tel wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:56 pm
AllanA wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:55 am H.Keganii X Green SugarH.keganii X Green Sugar.jpg

I just wish I could get seeds from my plants. Cactus no problem. Mesembs .... ish. Gasteria and Haworthia .... no hope
At this time of year I cannot polinate in the greenhouse, so have to bring them indoors under lights. Not sure if its temp or moist air that affects the pollen
Allan
Orkney
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

One of my favourites:-
H.Mordor 'Lawrence Loucka' X complex hybrid.jpg
H.(mordor-x-'Lawrence Loucka') X complex hybrid
Last edited by AllanA on Tue May 07, 2024 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allan
Orkney
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

AllanA wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:57 am

At this time of year I cannot polinate in the greenhouse, so have to bring them indoors under lights. Not sure if its temp or moist air that affects the pollen
That sounds like one impressive research project!
I had some seeds given to me last year by a nursery person with whom I have a good relationship. As they were attempting to find me a particular plant I was seeking, they found a pollinated inflorescence languishing on a nearby plant. I duly planted them. My point here is that I have Haworthia in flower on several plants simultaneously but never manage seeds. I've tried tieing inflorescences together. I've tried tickling with a one haired paintbrush. I've tried a nylon toothbrush bristle. I've tried a human hair (challenge for me since I'm becoming follicle deprived).
They just got ..... seeds ... without effort.
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

el48tel wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:09 am
AllanA wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:57 am

That sounds like one impressive research project!
I had some seeds given to me last year by a nursery person with whom I have a good relationship. As they were attempting to find me a particular plant I was seeking, they found a pollinated inflorescence languishing on a nearby plant. I duly planted them. My point here is that I have Haworthia in flower on several plants simultaneously but never manage seeds. I've tried tieing inflorescences together. I've tried tickling with a one haired paintbrush. I've tried a nylon toothbrush bristle. I've tried a human hair (challenge for me since I'm becoming follicle deprived).
They just got ..... seeds ... without effort.
Do you remove the petals first and ensure that the nectar does not get on the pollen or stigmas?
Allan
Orkney