Smaller agaves (and their hardiness)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Re: Smaller agaves (and their hardiness)

Post by Patrick »

I would say toumeyana as that's the biggest of that type and has the longest leaves and those look quite big, too big for bella but the clue according to Greg Starr is to wait until they flower, otherwise it's quite hard to tell!!
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Smaller agaves (and their hardiness)

Post by Tina »

That's what I thought but good to check. They are like needles.
I dislike unlabelled plants but have quite a few of them with faded or missing labels.

It seems to be the thinness of the leaves that helps them survive, some of my really fleshy leaved agaves really suffered when a fuse blew during a cold snap. Also some with extreme variegation got 'frosted' more on the yellow sides than green section.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.