Photologues cont. - Giza, Egypt

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Photologues cont. - Giza, Egypt

Post by MatDz »

Taking an example from Ralph's recent photologue, I recently visited the Giza pyramid complex and found a few quite succulent plants (+ 1 grass...) that might be of some interest to the forum.

I am not so sure about the identity of a few, so all comments are welcome.

Apologies for the neck stretching exercise, I forgot to edit all the files and it's really not feasible to swap them all on a mobile phone.

For context, temperature and precipitation graphs for Giza, Egypt and London, please note very different scales!
Giza-climate-graph.png
Giza-climate-graph.png (18.53 KiB) Viewed 367 times
London-climate-graph.png
London-climate-graph.png (24.59 KiB) Viewed 367 times

1. Zygophyllum simplex (syn. Tetraena simplex)

I found only this single plant, which seems to be suggesting that it's not necessarily a native there, isn't it?
20240403_121007.jpg
20240403_121132.jpg

2. Aizoanthemopsis hispanica (syn. Aizoanthemum hispanicum)

This annual is... dead at the moment, but capsules were full of seeds, so it will survive until the next cycle.
20240403_121310.jpg
20240403_121305.jpg

3. Asparagus horridus(?), not convinced of ID because this one was much more compact than all other photographs I found, but that's as close as I can get
20240403_123610.jpg
20240403_123645.jpg

4. Alhagi graecorum, legume, Manna tree
20240403_123911.jpg
20240403_124502.jpg

5. (Honorary wheatgrass) Thinopyrum intermedium or Cynodon dactylon, hard to guess from photographs available online. I found the leaf pattern to be very interesting on this one.
20240403_123801.jpg
20240403_123812.jpg
Mat
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Photologues cont. - Giza, Egypt

Post by ralphrmartin »

Thanks Mat. Any insight as to why there are so few succulents?
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:52 am Thanks Mat. Any insight as to why there are so few succulents?
Hi Ralph, I somehow missed your question. I did not explore much, just did a little circle around the pyramids' complex finishing slightly "off piste" at the end. That is where I found that lonely Zygophyllum and actually quite a few of the Aizoanthemopsis. They seemed to found a little niche for themselves on a slope with what looked like traces of a small seasonal stream (see the pin below, coords 29.9683258, 31.1344700). From the graphs I shared earlier I imagine the annual precipitation there equals maybe a few dull days in the UK, and there was only sand and small pebbles around that certainly do not give any shelter from the blazing sun.

There seem to be some Euphorbias (e.g. venenifica) and Caralluma (europaea) (and probably more) native to Egypt, but I did not have time or means to "hunt" for them unfortunately.

29.9683258, 31.1344700
29.9683258, 31.1344700
Zoomed in view
Zoomed in view
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Other in-topic plants used quite keenly in landscaping were various (common I imagine) Aloes, Agaves, Euphorbia milii and palms, which shouldn't surprise. Photographs aren't of the greatest quality, but you can spot the plants for sure.

20240411_012953.jpg
20240405_150956.jpg
20240405_155508.jpg
Mat
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

Brilliant. One of the best informative threads for a good while.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Thanks a lot! To finish the informative aspect, on photographs above are the Muhammad Ali mosque and the walls of the Citadel of Saladin in old Cairo (with the aforementioned mosque inside).
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

They must be tough to survive in those conditions
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.