Lithops trying to Flower

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
saddlestoneman
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lithops trying to Flower

Post by saddlestoneman »

Hello All

Some of my Lithops plants have been trying to flower for the past few weeks, see the photo.

I guess the reducing amount of sunshine at this time of the year means they're not quite going to make it.

best regards ... Stef
Attachments
PA261194.JPG
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Lithops trying to Flower

Post by rodsmith »

I have the same problem. My succulents are in our conservatory, which gets no sun from mid October to late February. Several of my lithops are in bud and my practise is to bring them indoors when the buds seem ready to open. On a west facing window cill on a sunny day they generally open fully by mid afternoon. Lithops mostly flower in the afternoon so a west facing window is ideal.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
saddlestoneman
Registered Guest

Post by saddlestoneman »

Many thanks, Rod.

I have a good position indoors and I'll bring them in and see if they open.

best regards ... Stef
saddlestoneman
Registered Guest

Post by saddlestoneman »

A few days on a south-facing window sill has made all the difference.
Attachments
PA311202.JPG
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

(tu)
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

I have been seeing similar issue .... but the ones in the GH at a lower temperature have flowered whereas the ones taken into the warmer conservatory have not ................
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

el48tel wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:19 pm I have been seeing similar issue .... but the ones in the GH at a lower temperature have flowered whereas the ones taken into the warmer conservatory have not ................
:???:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.