Aeonium Lemon and Lime

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JaneO
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aeonium Lemon and Lime

Post by JaneO »

Since Aeonium seem in vogue! This is another really variable one!

First plant is fine but one rooted rosette has no colouration and the other both from first plant looks OK.
4332CB97-3C17-4B40-A0F6-0562CA49B11D.jpeg
4332CB97-3C17-4B40-A0F6-0562CA49B11D.jpeg (124.01 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
BCEFFD2A-F104-4AD4-9520-6D95011BB6BF.jpeg
BCEFFD2A-F104-4AD4-9520-6D95011BB6BF.jpeg (114.4 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
D12D5691-3C99-4479-9059-59372E4CD493.jpeg
D12D5691-3C99-4479-9059-59372E4CD493.jpeg (122.85 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
JaneO
Registered Guest

Re: Aeonium Lemon and Lime

Post by JaneO »

Sorry posted in reverse order so three is parent!
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

Nice plant Jane. I got one earlier this year but it isn't looking that good yet.

This is another plant with multiple names too! According to International Crassulaceae Network, its correct name is 'Starburst'. ( I still refer to mine as 'Lemon and Lime' all the time though as otherwise it is easy to get it confused with 'Sunburst')

http://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel?a ... S&aID=2832

Apparently it arose as a partial reversion is 'Sunburst' so I suppose it's no surprise that it is prone to further reversion.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Thanks. I love this one and like Starburst but hadn’t heard it called this! I spoke to Surreal Succulents about reversion and the advice was to keep it shade! This sounds odd but I’m giving it a go! Sunburst really is my favourite although I have picked up one called Smithii just recently which may become my fav! It is another variable one. But I have several Mardi Gras and none is alike! Perhaps they should tell us this before we get hooked!

Thank you.
Jane
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I agree with them being addictive - I'm up to 37 cultivars / species now!

Regarding the idea of shade for preventing reversion, I can understand not wanting to overly stress the plant as that might cause it but beyond that I think it's just random luck as to where the new shoot arose and whether it is variegated or not. I have a leaf cutting of Echeveria 'Enfant Variegata' and the first shoot was all green. I nipped the growing point out and it's stimulated two more shoots that are variegated as they've grown from different areas of the leaf base.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Interesting! I try not to count mine!

I am tempted to chop the head of my reversion cutting in the hope that what you did will work! I’ll try shade but not hold8ng breath. If that fails, off with his head! I’ll let you know!

Thank you
Jane
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Good luck!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

JaneO wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:20 pm I am tempted to chop the head of my reversion cutting in the hope that what you did will work!
I don't think anything you do to the all-green one will work, but definitely worth a go on the partially variegated one. The hope is that offsets on the variegated part of the stem will give the 360' variegation, like the original rosette (3rd photo). Genetically, the plant is a chimera, with 2 different cells lines, and how those 2 different cell lines are arranged at the growing point will determine what variegation pattern results. It's the completely symmetrical ones that are most attractive, like your 3rd photo.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Thanks Mike,
I wasn’t optimistic but felt I had little to lose. I will give it a go and post if it works!
Jane
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Slightly off topic. Are Aeoniums Summer dormant ? Thanks