Meths and mealy eggs

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Meths and mealy eggs

Post by Eric Williams »

I have read that mealy eggs are covered in wax same as adult mealies. A dab of meths kills the adult, but can meths also destroy the eggs ? Cheers
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Meths and mealy eggs

Post by el48tel »

I am convinced it can ... soak the clean roots for couple of minutes
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Whenever I have sprayed a plant with meths, I've not seen any mealies come back on the same plant.

By the way, have you notced how expensive meths is these days? £4 for 500ml in Wilko. I'm beginning to wonder if white spirit w2ould do the job at half the price.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

ralphrmartin wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 pm Whenever I have sprayed a plant with meths, I've not seen any mealies come back on the same plant.

By the way, have you notced how expensive meths is these days? £4 for 500ml in Wilko. I'm beginning to wonder if white spirit w2ould do the job at half the price.
Ralph if I were visiting you I'd bring you some from our local village DIY shop - under £2 ---- just over £2 for a litre

If I read the comments of others correctly -- it's the methanol in the solution which kills mealies and humans --- not the ethanol
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

ralphrmartin wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 pm Whenever I have sprayed a plant with meths, I've not seen any mealies come back on the same plant.

I use isopropyl alcohol. I already have it as i use it from craft projects, hence trying it. As far as I am aware its the alcohol on the waxy coat that does the damage. I don't think ispropyl alcohol smells as bad as the others and is evaporates without leaving a weird smell.
daydreamer
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by daydreamer »

My understanding too is that it's the disruption of their protective cuticular wax layer that does the damage. Meths is currently £3 per 500ml at Sainsburys and Screwfix. The issue with White Spirits is that it has a higher boiling range, so it might take longer to evaporate?
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

My understanding is that Surgical Spirit could have propan-2-ol in it. This is isopropyl alcohol or isopropanol to the old school non-chemically educated. It has a much higher boiling range (not boiling point because it's a mixture of variable composition). Yes it's toxic - but the toxicity figures are not as low as for methanol which is the main poison added to the ethanol of "meths" (i.e. more of propan-2-ol needed to kill). So as a killing agent --- it's meths -- and it's a material with no known antidote!
With regard to supply of meths --- I'm going to buy all the stock from Mick in the village and sell it to anyone who wants to buy at £3 or 4 for a 500ml --- I'll make a killing (pun intended) -- I think I can probably knock him down a few notes for a caseload.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Chez, what percentage is the isopropyl that you use ? Thanks
makleodss
Registered Guest
Branch: BRIDLINGTON

Post by makleodss »

If I had to use meth or isopropyl do I need to dillute it or spray and soak directly on plant?
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

makleodss wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:58 pm If I had to use meth or isopropyl do I need to dillute it or spray and soak directly on plant?
spray neat on plant; soak cleaned roots BRIEFLY