Winter flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Winter flowers

Post by Liz M »

Looking back over Jim Mercer's Christmas Crassulas made me think that there must be a lot of plants out there in flower or waiting for some sun to open their buds. Here are a few of mine. Let's see some others it will brighten up the dreary weather we are having to endure
IMG_4950.10001.JPG
. A form of Crassula ovata I think.
IMG_4958.10001.jpg
Echeveria fulgens, this has not stopped flowering since I got it about eighteen months ago, it's very good value.
IMG_4965.10001.jpg
Echeveria rosea, this is only in bud at the moment but the flower is an extraordinary long one that is bright red and suffuses the leaves with red as well
IMG_4970.20001.jpg
Crassula perforata a reliable flowerer
IMG_027.10001.jpg
Sedum craigii
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Winter flowers

Post by JaneO »

Lovely pictures Liz as ever. The last one looks very similar to my Pachyphytum oviferum except the flowers would be pinky/red.
Jane O
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Liz

I think your C. perforata may be C. rupestris
rupestris
rupestris
perforata
perforata
Flowering soon...
buds_web.jpg
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Hi Jim, Some familiar stuff there and plenty more to come, even in winter, I sure. As for C perforata, you are right mine is C rupestris but it is very varied and dependent on how much you water it.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Hi Liz,

If it's the really small form, I usually call this cv. 'Tom Thumb'. You have some lovely winter flowers.

Here's a photo I took of a larger leaved form of rupestris, benefiting from South African sun in November:
resized 2011-11-12 Day 3 014 16x10.jpg
Best wishes, Tony
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Hi Tony, Lucky you getting some winter sun, so did I, I was in Kenya, did not see any Crassulas though, just lots of birds, animals and acacia trees.
Here are a couple of Aloes for a change. The first might be Aloe albiflora but I am suffering from faded label, perhaps someone would be kind enough to correct me.
IMG_001.30001.jpg
Then there is this one.
IMG_4969.10001.jpg
The label says Aloe bellatula x haworthoides,
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

What beauties! Who says winter is dull.

I have a Crassula of some sort which is a traling version of the one first called perforata, it has flowered this year for the first time. I guess it likes the north sill of my new 14C kitchen.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
sue46
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by sue46 »

Lovely flowers everyone thank you for sharing. Never really tried succulents - only good old Kalanchoe blossfeldiana of which I have about 3 small plants in my bedroom flowering (but alas not excellent speciments :sad: ). The problem is how do you stop these plants getting leggy? Can they be cut right back down to start anew or not?
Jude
Registered Guest

Post by Jude »

Hi Sue, I've cut back K. blossfeldiana & the plants respond well. The cuttings root easily too - I left cuttings in a jam-pot of water and forgot about them, only to find them all rooting a few weeks later.
Jude (I'm a cactaddict) Lewis. Carmarthenshire. Small varied collection. Joined BCSS Dec 2008