Label printing...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cav
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Label printing...

Post by Cav »

Was thinking of buying a Brother GL-H105 label machine and was just wondering if anyone is using one of them at the moment?

Hoping for a recommend before I make the purchase and then realize I should have got something else.

Thanks everyone.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Re: Label printing...

Post by Chris L »

If you've got a PC then this is what, I think, most of us use.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-P-Touc ... B001N7FKV8

You can copy and paste from a document on the PC - usually a spreadsheet.

Typing on a hand held will take an age......
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
fruit
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by fruit »

I use a Dymo (Duo) with D1 Permanent labels, copy and paste similarly. Also works under linux - but a bit more of a fiddle as no auto-size
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

fruit wrote:I use a Dymo (Duo) with D1 Permanent labels
I see there are knock-offs of these D1 labels available. Anyone in the know if they are of equal quality regarding water and sun light resistency? Or do they peel of label holders faster when wet, and lose readibility in a few years in sun light, much faster compared to the 'real' D1 labels?
Cav
BCSS Member

Post by Cav »

Thanks for the suggestions :smile: I will probably lean towards the Brother one then as I'd already come across that one whilst browsing. Sounds like I should be cataloguing my collection on excel or something before it gets any bigger - is that the best way to organise things and keep track? I suppose you'd always have a record if any labels got damaged, would that be the main benefit of building a database?
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Cav wrote:...Sounds like I should be cataloguing my collection on excel or something before it gets any bigger - is that the best way to organise things and keep track? I suppose you'd always have a record if any labels got damaged, would that be the main benefit of building a database?
I've kept a record of my collection on Excel for several years. I have separate sheets for the collection in date of acquisition order and numerical order, and also separate sheets for seedlings grown each year, watering info, size of plants, first bud appearing etc. etc. The possibilities are endless; but you have to be disciplined in keeping the various sheets up to date. :geek:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

Aiko wrote:I see there are knock-offs of these D1 labels available. Anyone in the know if they are of equal quality regarding water and sun light resistency? Or do they peel of label holders faster when wet, and lose readibility in a few years in sun light, much faster compared to the 'real' D1 labels?
I have only used Dymo brand. I have tried their Standard labels but they do tend to come unstuck after a while with heat and wet.
D1 Permanent labels are good and I've not noticed any fading, quite expensicve but cost is not much per label.

This is the sort of format I am using on a 12mm tapes
12mm label
12mm label
07-label.jpg (2.9 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Brother labels are pretty good. A friend tells me they are used on North Sea oil rigs, therefore pretty permanent. The only problem when I bought some were they worked out quite expensive per label, particularly if you have a large collection. Also you need a plastic label to stick them on.

It is certainly quicker to type in using a computer keyboard, or paste the name in on computer than setting each individual letter on the hand held units I found. Hopefully the labels have now got cheaper?

A friend of mine used Dymo ones and odd ones I had from him on his plant labels have come unstuck, but I have not had that trouble with Brother ones.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo »

Cav wrote:Sounds like I should be cataloguing my collection on excel or something before it gets any bigger - is that the best way to organise things and keep track? I suppose you'd always have a record if any labels got damaged, would that be the main benefit of building a database?
Like Rod I used to use an Excel spreadsheet for all my plant records. I recently moved the data out of the Excel version into a Google sheets spreadsheet instead. There wasn't a lot of difference but I wanted to be able to sync it with an Android database app which I could then access in the greenhouse on my phone. As Rod points out, discipline is key otherwise the records soon get of date.

I have a Brother QL printer (570 from memory) but haven't used it for plant labels due to worries about getting wet/fading etc.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

I have a Brother P-touch (something something) handheld. For me it's brilliant. I like the flexibility of being able to print a label anytime I need whether indoors or in the greenhouse. It's a bit more of a hassle to type everything manually, but personally I really don't think I'd have bothered to print as many labels as I have if I had to go on the computer every time and hook it up to the printer. I use Brother labels. Excellent quality.