Calderstones Park in Liverpool

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
saddlestoneman
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Calderstones Park in Liverpool

Post by saddlestoneman »

Hello All

Does anyone live near Calderstones Park in Liverpool, and know if it still has a cactus/succulent house?

When I lived in Liverpool in the 1970s I was a regular visitor to this house, and it was well endowed with an extensive collection. I'll always recall the man whose job it was to keep an eye on all visitors, and was always trying not to fall asleep in the heat, not very successfully!

best regards ... Stef

PS Looking at Google Maps, I see it's very close to the famous Strawberry Field, which I didn't know at the time.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Calderstones Park in Liverpool

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Unfortunately all gone, main greenhouses were demolished many years ago, the one that had the original cactus display survived that bit of political spite but it suffered from lack of maintenance and collapsed. New visitor attraction is about to open at Strawberry Field but the large botanical collection from Calderstones has gone although there was a bit on display at Croxteth Hall a few years ago (not been recently)
saddlestoneman
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by saddlestoneman »

Many thanks JIm. That's a shame but almost inevitable I suppose.

best regards ... Stef
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

This is where the original cactus greenhouse was - that greenhouse replaced an earlier one that was built against the wall hence the odd shape that remains. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/lo ... es-3338845
calderstones-park-s-new-sensory-garden.jpg